Dental sealants are thin coatings that are applied to the chewing surfaces of the back teeth (molars and premolars) to protect them from decay. Are sealants right for you? Here are a few of the additional benefits:
- Prevents cavities: The chewing surfaces of the back teeth are particularly susceptible to cavities because they have deep pits and grooves where food and bacteria can get trapped. Sealants create a smooth surface over these pits and grooves, making it more difficult for bacteria to penetrate the enamel and cause decay.
- Safe and painless: Sealants are a safe and painless procedure that can be done during a regular dental appointment. The sealant material is applied to the tooth surface and then cured (hardened) with a special light. The procedure is quick and easy, and does not require any drilling or the need to be numbed.
- Cost-effective: Sealants are an affordable way to prevent cavities and maintain good oral health. They can be much less expensive than the cost of treating a cavity.
- Long-lasting: Sealants can last for several years with proper care and maintenance. They can be reapplied as needed to ensure continued protection against decay.
- Recommended for children and adults: Sealants are particularly beneficial for children because their teeth are still developing and are more susceptible to decay. However, adults can also benefit from sealants, especially if they have a history of cavities or are at a higher risk of developing them.
Sealants are a safe and effective way to prevent cavities and maintain good oral health. Contact our team here at Dr. Douglas F. Geiger, DMD today to schedule your appointment!
Request An Appointment!
"*" indicates required fields